CMBC Boost For Local Economy
Calderdale Council’s Cabinet will discuss the allocation of nearly £200,000 to develop five local initiatives in response to the current economic conditions. When it meets on Monday 24 August, Cabinet will be asked to give its approval to a recommendation by the ‘Economic Task Force’ for five specific areas of activity:
- Future jobs fund – £89,000
- Visitor Guide for Calderdale 2010 – £20,000
- Branding for new Farmers Markets – £7,500
- Car Park barrier at Eureka car park – £17,500
- Council’s apprenticeship programme – £65,208
The ‘Economic Task Force’ was set up in January 2009 to react urgently to counteract the effects of the economic downturn on the residents, communities and businesses in the area.
Councillor Amanda Byrne, Portfolio Holder for Regeneration and Development said:
“The Future Jobs Fund (FJF) is an initiative which aims to create 150,000 jobs nationwide between October 2009 and April 2011.
The Economic Task Force is progressing a bid with the (FJF) for funding. This bid has already past the first stage of approval however additional funding is currently needed to support the voluntary sector in Calderdale.
The £89,000 from the ‘Economic Fighting Fund’ will allow the voluntary sector to safeguard jobs and support the employment of young people in the area.”
Councillor Barry Collins, Scrutiny Chair for Regeneration and Development said:
“The Council is looking to develop a corporate apprenticeship programme for Customer Services posts across the organisation.
This funding will enable the Council to develop the first formal apprenticeship programme of its kind which we will hopefully develop and build upon in the future.”
Project Director for Eureka, Tudor Gwynn said:
“This proposal means that the barriers at the Eureka car park would be in place before the new rail service to London comes into operation and would enable rail users and others to extend their stay into the evening.
We would welcome the installation of the barriers especially as we expect an increase in demand once the new rail link to London comes into operation.”
- Posted: 13 October 2011Vote For Your Favourite Park Or Playing Field
- Posted: 27 September 2011Get Ready For Apple Day 2011!
- Posted: 21 September 2011Local Jobless Figures Highest In Years
- Posted: 15 February 2011Element Jewellery Leads Way With Fairtrade Gold
- Posted: 13 February 2011Council Budget Proposals Show Cabinet Has Listened
- Posted: 9 February 2011Meeting To Secure Future Of Picture House
- Posted: 7 February 2011Summer’s coming…and it’s going to be wearing a squid hat!
- Posted: 4 February 2011Council Funding To Support Local Business
Browse Archive By Date
Add An Article
Got a news story for the Hebden Bridge List? Click the link below to submit your article for publication.