Rastrick Library To Re-open In September
The refurbished Rastrick Library will re-open on Wednesday September 9, from 10am to 12.30pm. To celebrate the new improved library, there will be an open evening on Thursday September 10, 6pm to 9pm. People are invited to come and see the new library and there will be wine and light refreshments.
On Saturday 12 September, families are invited to drop-in craft and story time sessions at the library, from 10am to 1pm and 2pm to 3.30pm.
Significant work and improvements have been carried out at the Grade II listed library. They include:
- Decoration and new carpets throughout.
- Replacement roof and boiler.
- Eradication of dry rot in the children’s library.
- Staff area remodelled to accommodate a disabled toilet.
- Replacement roof lights with blinds to overcome the problem of the building overheating in the summer months.
- New shelving in both the adult and children’s areas.
The works have been designed and carried out sympathetically in line with the Grade II listed status of the building. The green wall tiles have been restored as necessary and the large table and cabin chairs retained in the reading area. The new adult shelving complements the original features and the children’s area is now bright and vibrant.
The temporary library service at Upper Edge closes on Thursday 3 Sept and a mobile service will be parked outside Upper Edge until the re-opening.
Councillor Ian Cooper, the Council’s Cabinet Member for Community Services, said:
“The improvements to Rastrick Library are part of our continuing commitment to invest in library services, and follow the refurbishment of Shelf Library and Hebden Bridge Library earlier this year. Work has also started on a brand new library at King Cross, Halifax, which is expected to open next year.”
- Posted: 13 October 2011Vote For Your Favourite Park Or Playing Field
- Posted: 27 September 2011Get Ready For Apple Day 2011!
- Posted: 21 September 2011Local Jobless Figures Highest In Years
- Posted: 15 February 2011Element Jewellery Leads Way With Fairtrade Gold
- Posted: 13 February 2011Council Budget Proposals Show Cabinet Has Listened
- Posted: 9 February 2011Meeting To Secure Future Of Picture House
- Posted: 7 February 2011Summer’s coming…and it’s going to be wearing a squid hat!
- Posted: 4 February 2011Council Funding To Support Local Business
Browse Archive By Date
Add An Article
Got a news story for the Hebden Bridge List? Click the link below to submit your article for publication.