Wainhouse Opening A Towering Success
Calderdale’s popular new high spot, Wainhouse Tower, will open to the public again this Bank Holiday weekend.
More than 800 people flocked to see the stunning views from the top of the tower when it opened for the first time in four years on May 4th 2009. The tower will open again on Sunday 24th and Monday 25th May, from 10am to 7pm (last ascent at 6.30pm).
The 253 foot-high tower is one of Calderdale’s most recognisable landmarks and has undergone an extensive £400,000 restoration since shutting in 2005. After the Bank Holiday weekend, it will open on at least six more days throughout the year, which are: Sunday 31st May, Monday 1st June, Sunday 21st June, Sunday 26th July, Sunday 30th August and Sunday 13th September.
Visitors from Halifax’s twin town of Aachen in Germany will also get to see the view from the top of the tower as part of a town twinning trip on Saturday 30th May.
The tower was originally commissioned as a chimney for the local dye works by John Edward Wainhouse in the late 19th Century, and was completed on 9th September 1875. However the structure was never actually used as a working chimney and as such, has been regarded by many as one of Britain’s finest follies. Today, the tower is managed by Calderdale Council.
Councillor Ian Cooper, the Council’s Cabinet member for community services, said:-
“I’m delighted that we can open Wainhouse Tower again for the public to enjoy. This iconic building is one of the jewels of Calderdale, and it’s fantastic that so many people braved the 403 steps to the top on its first opening weekend. I hope many more will come and enjoy the views this Bank Holiday!”
Admission will be £2 for adults and £1.50 for under-16s, with discounts for Passport to Leisure card holders. For more information about the tower, phone 01422 393254 or visit www.calderdale.gov.uk/leisure
- Posted: 13 October 2011Vote For Your Favourite Park Or Playing Field
- Posted: 27 September 2011Get Ready For Apple Day 2011!
- Posted: 21 September 2011Local Jobless Figures Highest In Years
- Posted: 15 February 2011Element Jewellery Leads Way With Fairtrade Gold
- Posted: 13 February 2011Council Budget Proposals Show Cabinet Has Listened
- Posted: 9 February 2011Meeting To Secure Future Of Picture House
- Posted: 7 February 2011Summer’s coming…and it’s going to be wearing a squid hat!
- Posted: 4 February 2011Council Funding To Support Local Business
Browse Archive By Date
Add An Article
Got a news story for the Hebden Bridge List? Click the link below to submit your article for publication.