Despite the swing toward the Conservative Party in the general election, there have been two Labour Party and two Lib-Dem gains locally in the council elections, and losses for minority parties in Calderdale which have reflected constituency voting for MP’s.
Voters in the Calder Valley constituency have elected Conservative Candidate Craig Whittaker as member of parliament with 39.4% of the votes cast and a majority of 6,431, restoring the seat to the Tories after 13 years in Labour Party hands.
As election fever grips the country and the polls begin to narrow, some national newspapers have recommended tactical voting in key marginal constituencies such as the Calder Valley, urging people to vote with their heads instead of their hearts on the 6th May.
Eye-catching new signs have gone up at both ends of Hebden Bridge, welcoming people to this creative hotspot and to the 500th anniversary celebrations. The signs, the work of local designer Mike Barrett of Frogsdesign, were inspired by plaques on the stone packhorse bridge from which the town gets its name.
Author Sharyn Lock will be at Hebden Bridge library on Friday 7th May to tell her gripping story of Gaza: Beneath the Bombs. Travelling with the Free Gaza Movement, Sharyn believed that the greatest danger she faced would be making it past the Israeli sea blockade in a fishing boat.
Shibden Hall is set for a busy May Day on 3rd May, thanks to a successful appeal for talented craftspeople to show off their skills. The estate will host a range of craft demonstrations including blacksmithing, stone carving, rag rugging, pole lathing and many more traditional local crafts.
A key player in Hilary Myers’ campaign to win the Calder Valley seat for the Liberal Democrats in the general election, has described Calderdale Lib-Dem Councillors as “mostly toothless” and says they are powerless in their many Scrutiny Panel roles at the Council.
- Posted: 13 October 2011Vote For Your Favourite Park Or Playing Field
- Posted: 27 September 2011Get Ready For Apple Day 2011!
- Posted: 21 September 2011Local Jobless Figures Highest In Years
- Posted: 15 February 2011Element Jewellery Leads Way With Fairtrade Gold
- Posted: 13 February 2011Council Budget Proposals Show Cabinet Has Listened
- Posted: 9 February 2011Meeting To Secure Future Of Picture House
- Posted: 7 February 2011Summer’s coming…and it’s going to be wearing a squid hat!
- Posted: 4 February 2011Council Funding To Support Local Business
Browse Archive By Date
Add An Article
Got a news story for the Hebden Bridge List? Click the link below to submit your article for publication.