On June 19th, the mid-point in a year of celebrations to mark the 500th anniversary of the packhorse bridge, the streets of Hebden will be ringing to the sounds of mediaeval music, horse’s hooves and some jolly loud bangs.
Back in 1920, cinema-goers packed into the Co-op Hall in Hebden Bridge, eager to see a new film; a harrowing, heart-rending story shot in the countryside around their town. Then the film disappeared, considered lost, until detective work by a local film-maker uncovered it, squirreled away in a Canadian archive.
A large section of the pathway on Pennine Way has been repaired to improve walking conditions in time for summer. Calderdale Council’s Rights of Way team have been working in partnership with Natural England to improve a 500m length of path on the Pennine Way.
An agreement between the Liberal Democrat and Labour groups has been reached that will see them taking over the leadership of Calderdale Council in a joint administration at the Annual Meeting of the Council on Monday (24th May).
Libraries are celebrating local and community history month in May with displays of historic photos. The aim of the month is to increase awareness of local history, promote history in general to the local community and encourage all members of the community to participate.
An award-winning film partly shot at Colden School and in the surrounding area is to be screened during the HB500 film festival. The festival is part of the exciting mix of events to celebrate the 500th anniversary of the stone bridge that made Hebden Bridge.
Calderdale Council’s Chief Executive and acting returning officer Owen Williams, has been heavily criticised by the Liberal Democrat Chief Whip in the House of Lords, for the manner in which the general and local election counts were carried out.
- Posted: 13 October 2011Vote For Your Favourite Park Or Playing Field
- Posted: 27 September 2011Get Ready For Apple Day 2011!
- Posted: 21 September 2011Local Jobless Figures Highest In Years
- Posted: 15 February 2011Element Jewellery Leads Way With Fairtrade Gold
- Posted: 13 February 2011Council Budget Proposals Show Cabinet Has Listened
- Posted: 9 February 2011Meeting To Secure Future Of Picture House
- Posted: 7 February 2011Summer’s coming…and it’s going to be wearing a squid hat!
- Posted: 4 February 2011Council Funding To Support Local Business
Browse Archive By Date
Add An Article
Got a news story for the Hebden Bridge List? Click the link below to submit your article for publication.